The Los Angeles Police Department has extensive crime prevention tips on its website and compiled the following Halloween safety tips for children and their parents. Wherever you live, these guidelines can help you have a safer, more enjoyable experience.
- Children should trick-or-treat during daylight hours.
- Children should never be allowed to go out alone on Halloween.
- Children should never eat any treats until they have been examined.
- All fruit should be cut and closely examined before eating.
- Advise children that they should never enter strangers’ homes.
- Never invite children into your home.
- Children should never accept rides from strangers.
- Children should never take shortcuts through backyards or alleys.
- Set a specific time limit for your children to be out on Halloween night.
- Give wrapped homemade treats only to children you know.
- Instruct children not to stray from their group.
- A responsible adult should escort children while trick-or-treating.
- Adult escorts should carry flashlights.
- Don’t leave your home unattended on Halloween night.
- Keep pets inside your home, or other safe place on Halloween night.
Learn more by visiting the L.A.P.D. Halloween Tips page here.